NBN: second release sites
The NBN Co has announced 19 new locations for the next stage of the National Broadband Network (NBN) rollout. The second release sites will consist of 14 new locations and five sites which neighbour the previously-announced first release sites.
The new sites are:
• Victoria – Bacchus Marsh, South Morang (Melbourne)
• Queensland – Brisbane (inner north), Springfield Lakes, Toowoomba
• NSW – Riverstone (western Sydney), Coffs Harbour
• South Australia – Modbury, Prospect
• Western Australia – Victoria Park (Perth), Geraldton, Mandurah
• Northern Territory – Casuarina and
• ACT – Gungahlin
The five first release sites set to expand after the first phase of the NBN rollout are:
• NSW – Minnamurra/Kiama Downs (Kiama)
• NSW – Armidale
• Queensland – Townsville
• Victoria – Brunswick
• South Australia – Willunga (to be rolled out to the nearby areas of Seaford/McLaren)
NBN Co CEO Mike Quigley said: “We have selected these second sites to build upon the work we are doing in the first release sites and to progress the rollout in areas of future network growth.”
“These sites have been selected based on a range of criteria including engineering and construction requirements, network design and the level of existing broadband infrastructure. The engagement of local government and the receptiveness of communities to broadband initiatives were also factors taken into consideration,” Mr Quigley said.
Planning and construction of the fibre optic network is already underway within the first release sites which were selected by NBN Co back in March this year. Construction of the second release sites is due to begin in the second quarter of 2011.
ISPs currently offering fibre plans include Internode, Exetel, iiNet and iPrimus.
Refer to this article for Exetel fibre plan pricing.
Refer to this article for Internode fibre plan pricing.
Refer to this article for iiNet fibre plan pricing.
Refer to this article for iPrimus fibre plan pricing.