- What is Parental Control?
- How Do I Set Up Parental Controls on Telstra?
- How to Set Up Parental Controls on TPG?
Parents only want what is best for their children. In this digital era, it is alarming how the internet is being used to spread violence, hate, and malicious contents which could negatively impact the young minds of the youth. One of the many ways parents could protect their children when they are on the internet is by setting up parental controls on their NBN connection. If you are planning to avail a reliable NBN plan, this will help you in making your household connection family friendly!
In this article, we will be providing you blow by blow procedures in setting up parental controls over Australia’s leading NBN providers.
- What is Parental Control?
- Parental Controls on Telstra
- Parental Controls on TPG
- Parental Controls on iiNet
- Parental Controls on MyRepublic
What is Parental Control?
Parental controls are softwares and tools that help parents to manage their children’s device and internet usage. These tools can be set up in your internet connection, which we will be the focus of this article, and in your kids’ devices. Through these controls, you can prevent your children from accessing dangerous, unsuitable, and harmful contents on the internet.
Some of the Internet Service Providers offer free parental controls through their websites or with their modems. When you set up a parental control on your connection regardless of your NBN plan, you can restrict or block sites which you think are unsuitable and harmful.
Listed below are the step-by-step procedures on setting up parental control on your specific NBN connection.
How Do I Set Up Parental Controls on Telstra?
- Ensure that your device is connected to your home network.
- Go to the browser and sign in your account on Telstra 24x7 My Account Page.
- From the menu, select your Internet Service
- In the Add-ons, click the Telstra Broadband Protect and select manage.
- Upon clicking Manage, you will see ON and OFF keys for parental control. Click ON to activate.
- You can then select control level: LOW, MEDIUM, and HIGH content level of controls. This will depend on the level of online content security you would like to have for your family.
- You can also set up time restrictions. In this function, you can restrict or block specific sites on a specific time.
- Once you are done with the restrictions, click Next and make sure to press Confirm to update the Telstra network settings.
You can also personalise the parental controls. You can make a list of sites which are always allowed and a list of sites which are always blocked. You can also have the network notify you via email or sms when someone is asking for access on a site that is on the black list.
How to Set Up Parental Controls on TPG?
- Log in on your account on the TPG page.
- Click the parental control keys on the menu board.
- You will then see the devices that are connected on your network. If a device you would like to restrict is not automatically connected, you need to manually scan the device’s name and address.
- Choose a device you would like to restrict. Click the modify options on the menu board for that specific device/user.
- Set the specific time the restrictions apply.
- Choose the restriction type:
- Whitelist - this type of restriction only allows devices to access specific sites on a specific time using the specific keywords.
- Blacklist - this type of restriction blocks the access of the controlled devices on the specific time that is set.
- On the bottom section, click Add Keyword and place the keywords/sites you want to block/restrict.
- Confirm the changes by clicking Save.
How to Set Up Parental Controls on iiNet Bob Lite?
- Open a web browser and log in on your account using the IP address (type http://10.1.1.1/) and password of your iiNet Bob Lite.
- You should indicate specific IP addresses to the device you would like to restrict. To do it, go to Status/Diagnostic, which is on the top black menu bar.
- Upon loading, click DHCP on the list on the left side. By doing so, all of the devices that are connected on your network will be shown.
- Afterwards, choose the devices you would like to block or restrict.
- Write down the IP addresses of the computers and make sure to click the Fix IP option so that the same IP address will be used by the device.
- Click the Advanced Settings on the top menu bar then click Access Controls and Parental Controls on the left side menu.
- You can then configure the internet schedule rule.
How to Set Up Parental Controls on MyRepublic?
MyRepublic offers a separate software to protect your child from the web. All of the MyRepublic customers are eligible for the 6-months free trial of MySafe, the parental control tool of the telco. After the trial period, subsequent subscriptions will cost $1.99/mth. So, how do you access MySafe?
- Log in to your MyAccount.
- Click the Parental Control Icon.
- If you already have activated your account, click the Nominum Parental Control Portal.
- Afterwards, you will then be asked about the protection level: light, medium, and strict. This will depend on your household requirements.
- Once you have set the restriction level, configure MySafe by clicking See Details and click View Details and Edit.
- Options like “Homework Time, Internet Off, and Site Access for specific periods of time” will be shown. You can choose among the options to restrict internet usage.
- Finally, click the “gear” icon on the right top side of the page and select settings to indicate the allowed and blocked sites.
These are only a few of the many ways you can protect your children on the net. Security is one of the many aspects we look into when choosing an NBN provider. Compare Broadband has established relationships with the leading ISPs in Australia.
Contact us at 1300 106 571 if you have questions about parental controls, NBN plans, and anything related to getting the best internet service experience. We will be happy to help you!